Skip To ContentSkip To Content

    BLT Meeting Agenda & Minutes

    BLT Meeting Date: 11/21/19Recorder: Genna McLaren

    Agenda Item

    1. Introduction of Ms. Jolly. 15 minutes

    Christy Smith

    2. Update on the RET goals 25 minutes. Kathleen Gillespe

    3. Math goal update 25 minutes Vivian Song/Christi Miller

     

    Members Present

    Chika Imanishi (Yr. 1)

    Christi Miller

    Christy Smith

    Genna McLaren (Yr. 1, E)

    Gregory Widmyer

    Kathleen Gillespie (Yr.1, Library)

    Leslie Ramirez (Yr.1, S)

    Rie Zilly (Yr.2, J)

    Sarah Jones

    Vivian Song Maritz

    Yoko Chiba


    BLT Meeting Minutes

    Item: Introduction of new Interim Principal
    Notes:
    Ms. Jolly has been here 7-8 days; has made her way around to the classrooms to introduce herself to students; conducting observations of teachers; retired elementary school principal in SPS, has been working since retirement as an interim principal at 4-5 schools around SPS, most recently at MacDonald (for 4 months); Sarah Jones is not monitoring her email on maternity leave, so please email Ms. Jolly directly if you need a principal response
    Action Items:


    Item: Update on RED Goals
    Notes: Kathleen and Rabiya have been working together with the RET to determine climate goals, and we as a school have used a climate survey from the district to inform our action steps and goals. This year, we’ve decided to try using a different survey, specifically aligned to our CSIP and RET goals to see how our students are feeling here at school. This survey, presented at previous meetings, includes questions for K-2 and 3-5. Results are in, and they were shared at the last RET meeting. The RET decided

    1. Item: Introduction of new Interim Principal

      1. Notes:

        1. Ms. Jolly has been here 7-8 days; has made her way around to the classrooms to introduce herself to students; conducting observations of teachers; retired elementary school principal in SPS, has been working since retirement as an interim principal at 4-5 schools around SPS, most recently at MacDonald (for 4 months); Sarah Jones is not monitoring her email on maternity leave, so please email Ms. Jolly directly if you need a principal response

      2. Action Items:

    2. Item: Update on RED Goals

    Notes: Kathleen and Rabiya have been working together with the

    RET to determine climate goals, and we as a school have used a

      1. decided that they need a measurable goal(s): 1) staff and 2) school.

      2. Staff school culture goal: For the 2019 – 20 school year, every month staff will teach at least one ethnic studies lesson and/or modify current units to Ethnic Studies framework. As measured by a staff survey in the spring.

      3. Student school culture goal: By June 2020, students will have been exposed to ethnic studies lesson and/or framework resulting in an increase in students of all identities believing that school is a welcoming and safe place. This will be measured by a student survey in the fall and spring.

      4. RET has been working with district contacts through to receive resources, and staff will have received 6 Ethnic Studies related PDs as coordinated through the district. Ethnic Studies curriculum and lessons are now available, and teachers are integrating themes and the framework into their lessons.

        1. Kathleen clarified that the Department of Racial Equity and the Ethnic Studies Institute are separate. We were able to set up and coordinate trainings through the Ethnic Studies program. Our point of contact is Joshua Parker (representing many schools in the district).

        2. Questions on the RET survey was created in collaboration with resources through the district. 

        3. Concerns were brought up about which students were able to correctly identify their race, and Kathleen encouraged parents to reach out and Rabiya and Kathleen would be willing to act as a liaison between teachers and parents to discuss topics at parent meetings.

        4. Broader issues about the intersection between the RET and Parent Initiates / Groups were raised and tabled for further discussion. BLT identified their role, and historically the intersection of parent concerns were raised during BLT. 

        5. Parent representatives communicated a desire to understand if BLT is not the avenue to raise family concerns, where would the administration suggest we voice these concerns? Is there a way to anonymously raise concerns on behalf of families that may not feel comfortable sharing them directly with the principal / administration?

        6. Kathleen shared the history of building leadership – there used to be site councils, then shifted to BLT with broad parameters, and last year the district narrowed the scope two years ago to align how BLT meetings were narrowed in focus (around the CSIP – issues related to achievement, academics, climate, budgeting) 

      1. Action Items: Christy suggested that she’s hearing there needs to be a bridge plan to come up with a solution for how to make parent voices heard. What does that look like, so these concerns can be addressed? For specific families or for groups of families? How can we clarify that alternate channel? With the Students First Campaign, many parents have thoughts to share. 

    1. Item: Update on Math Goals

      1. Notes: Question was raised about what specific strategies are in place to ensure intervention is taking place to improve math scores (to meet goal). Kathleen suggested it may come down to funding for specific support to math. Christy shared that the MTSS (multi-tiered systems of support) meetings take place monthly with all teachers discussing concerns. In the beginning of the year, teachers met as a team with the principal, ELL teachers and literacy interventionists to discuss overall concerns, and then meet monthly to reflect on how effective the selected interventions have been. From this, they decide whether to continue an intervention, try a different intervention, or release from intervention.

        1. We discussed how some of the lack of funding for math intervention, as constrained by the district parameters for how staff funds can be spent, will in some ways shift as we move towards a biliteracy model and literacy will be taught in both languages.

        2. Vivian asked what avenue to suggest to a parent that is interested in fundraising for math intervention, and Christy / Ms. Jolly suggested that it would go through the PTA. We agreed that we won’t receive the budget from the district until mid-winter break, as we will have a better understanding of need based on funds. 

    decided that they need a measurable goal(s): 1) staff

    and 2) school.
    Staff school culture goal: For the 2019 – 20

        1. Vivian asked about the specific process for budgeting, now that we’ve moved forward in the year. 

      1. Action Items:

        1. Christy will add the math goals to the CSIP, now that she has webmaster privileges. 


    Christy discussed what to expect for BLT, the process for adding agenda items (anywhere from one week to the day before via email). She will continue to try to be respectful of conversations on topic with the goals and action items. In December, the district budget will come out. March, we will start developing the CSIP.  


    school year, every month staff will teach at least one ethnic studies lesson and/or modify current units to Ethnic Studies framework. As measured by a staff survey in the spring.
    Student school culture goal: By June 2020, students will have been exposed to ethnic studies lesson and/or framework resulting in an increase in students of all identities believing that school is a welcoming and safe place. This will be measured by a student survey in the fall and spring.
    RET has been working with district contacts through to receive resources, and staff will have received 6 Ethnic Studies related PDs as coordinated through the district. Ethnic Studies curriculum and lessons are now available, and teachers are integrating themes and the framework into their lessons.

    Kathleen clarified that the Department of Racial Equity and the Ethnic Studies Institute are separate. We were able to set up and coordinate trainings through the Ethnic Studies program. Our point of contact is Joshua Parker (representing many schools in the district).
    Questions on the RET survey was created in collaboration with resources through the district.
    Concerns were brought up about which students were able to correctly identify their race, and Kathleen encouraged parents to reach out and Rabiya and Kathleen would be willing to act as a liaison between teachers and parents to discuss topics at parent meetings.
    Broader issues about the intersection between the RET and Parent Initiates / Groups were raised and tabled for further discussion. BLT identified their role, and historically the intersection of parent concerns were raised during BLT.
    Parent representatives communicated a desire to understand if BLT is not the avenue to raise family concerns, where would the administration suggest we voice these concerns? Is there a way to anonymously raise concerns on behalf of families that may not feel comfortable sharing them directly with the principal / administration?
    Kathleen shared the history of building leadership – there used to be site councils, then shifted to BLT with broad parameters, and last year the district narrowed the scope two years ago to align how BLT meetings were narrowed in focus (around the CSIP – issues related to achievement, academics, climate, budgeting)

    Action Items: Christy suggested that she’s hearing there needs to be a bridge plan to come up with a solution for how to make parent voices heard. What does that look like, so these concerns can be addressed? For specific families or for groups of families? How can we clarify that alternate channel? With the Students First Campaign, many parents have thoughts to share.

    Item: Update on Math Goals
    Notes: Question was raised about what specific strategies are in place to ensure intervention is taking place to improve math scores (to meet goal). Kathleen suggested it may come down to funding for specific support to math. Christy shared that the MTSS (multi-tiered systems of support) meetings take place monthly with all teachers discussing concerns. In the beginning of the year, teachers met as a team with the principal, ELL teachers and literacy interventionists to discuss overall concerns, and then meet monthly to reflect on how effective the selected interventions have been. From this, they decide whether to continue an intervention, try a different intervention, or release from intervention.
    We discussed how some of the lack of funding for math intervention, as constrained by the district parameters for how staff funds can be spent, will in some ways shift as we move towards a biliteracy model and literacy will be taught in both languages.
    Vivian asked what avenue to suggest to a parent that is interested in fundraising for math intervention, and Christy / Ms. Jolly suggested that it would go through the PTA. We agreed that we won’t receive the budget from the district until mid-winter break, as we will have a better understanding of need based on funds.
    climate survey from the district to inform our action steps and goals. This year, we’ve decided to try using a different survey, specifically aligned to our CSIP and RET goals to see how our students are feeling here at school. This survey, presented at previous meetings, includes questions for K-2 and 3-5. Results are in, and they were shared at the last RET meeting. The RET decided

    1. Update CSIP goal values online (Christy)

    2.Identify a communication pathway for parent concerns being expressed to BLT members (Kathy and Christy)


    BLT Meeting Date:

    11/21/19

    Time Keeper:


    Recorder:

    Genna McLaren

    BLT Meeting Date:

    11/21/19

    Time Keeper:


    Recorder:

    Genna McLaren

    BLT Meeting Date:

    11/21/19

    Members Present
    Members Present

    Chika Imanishi (Yr. 1)

    Christi Miller

    Christy Smith

    Genna McLaren (Yr. 1, E)

    Gregory Widmyer

    Kathleen Gillespie (Yr.1, Library)

    Leslie Ramirez (Yr.1, S)

    Rie Zilly (Yr.2, J) 

    Sarah Jones

    Vivian Song Maritz

    Yoko Chiba

    Chika Imanishi (Yr. 1)

    Christi Miller

    Christy Smith

    Genna McLaren (Yr. 1, E)

    Gregory Widmyer

    Kathleen Gillespie (Yr.1, Library)

    Leslie Ramirez (Yr.1, S)

    Rie Zilly (Yr.2, J) 

    Sarah Jones

    Vivian Song Maritz

    Yoko Chiba

    BLT Meeting Minutes