The MOVE-A-THON is both a celebration of motion and an old-fashioned fundraiser. Kids get pledges from friends, family and neighbors based on either a flat amount, or the distance they anticipate traveling. Then they bring their bikes, or scooters, or roller skates, or just their feet down to the Burke-Gilman Trail (between Bagley and Latona Ave NE) and MOVE! Scroll down or click here to jump down for more details of the event.
We have several categories of winners for every Move-A-Thon......
.....and winners for 2012 are:
Most Indivdual Miles
The 2012 Move-A-Thon was held on Sunday, September 30th just east of Gasworks Park on the Burke-Gilman Trail. Participants received their “Trail Card" which documented the distance they traveled. They also received their 2012 Move-A-Thon T-shirt when they signed in. What time they started, how long they stayed, and how far they traveled was up to you and them. Adults supervised the event for safety and snacks and drinks will be provided to keep everyone fueled for moving. See below for more details of the 2012 event. Check back year next year to see what's in store for 2013.
Sunday, September 30, 2012
10:00am - 2:00pm
Did we mention that this is the biggest PTSA fundraiser of the year? Last year Move-A-Thon raised $23,000 through pledges and sponsors!
Move-a-Thon T-Shirt Spirit Days
Show your Move-a-Thon colors on Move-a-Thon Spirit Days typically the the friday before the Move-A-Thon! Wear your favorite Move-a-Thon shirt from previous years and show everyone you're getting ready for this year's event. Got any pledges lined up? Pumped up the tires in your bike or laced up your walking shoes? Kindergarten students--wear something colorful to join in the fun!
Tie-Dye Wrap Up - 2012
Thanks to all those who came out and helped make this happen! We dyed 470 shirts in less than two hours. There was an incredible turn out of enthusiastic student volunteers, making this year’s shirts the first primarily kid created project. I can’t wait to see their unique creations! Thanks also to all of you who took home a bag or two to wash. This is a huge help!
Volunteers are Needed!
More info, and job descriptions available at: https://sites.google.com/site/
Top 10 Reasons to Participate in the Move-A-Thon
10. “Movers and shakers” are twice as effective as just plain “shakers”!
9. The Move-A-Thon t-shirt is a “must-have” in any JSIS student’s wardrobe.
8. While the kids are moving, the parents get to do quite a bit of hanging out.
7. Kids get to challenge themselves physically to obtain “just one more hole-punch” in their trail card.
6. Self-propelled locomotion produces no greenhouse gases.
5. Kids develop confidence and salesman-ship skills as they gather pledges.
4. Kids get to cheer their heads off when the winning classroom is announced.
3. One lucky participant will win a brand new bicycle (drawing held in November).
2. JSIS programs and classrooms benefit from the funds we raise.
1. Biking, walking, and other forms of non-motorized moving are fun ways to get around, and can become healthy, lifelong habits!
How to Help!
If you haven’t volunteered before, the Move-A-Thon is a great event to get your feet wet. See the external Move-a-Thon Volunteer page at https://sites.google.com/site/jsismoveathon/volunteer, or use the links below to sign-up:
Move-a-Thon 2012 Day Of (SignupGenius)