The purpose of this activity is to build school community and to encourage students to think creatively, critically and scientifically as they design their project. This is an optional, at-home project and classroom time is not be available for working on the project.
*Rules for entry
Parents review this checklist with students before construction begins, then again before student brings project to school.
- Name and room number on the project.
- One entry per student.
- The water balloon sent home with your student must be filled to a minimum diameter of 3 inches (or circumference of 9 inches).
- Project size limit – the student must be able to carry the project by themselves to school.
- All entries must contain only items that can go directly into the recycling bin. No sorting or separating required
- Please use only recycled materials for the construction of the project. Do not buy anything new.
- Do not use anything that you would like to have returned.
- No wings, parachutes, propellers, Styrofoam, food/food products, cloth (socks, stuffed animals, etc.) or plastics allowed.
- Students use their imagination and thinking skills to create projects
- Entries should be brought to school the morning of the Balloon Drop and taken directly to the playground. Parent volunteers will be collecting projects at the class lines.
- After attendance, all students will reassemble on the playground. Designated adults will drop the projects from the fourth floor balcony.
Fourth and Fifth Grade Challenge = Entries must have the balloon partially visible!
Volunteering for this Event? Here are your instructions!